I love this delicious cake as a little treat in the afternoon with a cup of tea. But as it’s gluten free, it’s easier to digest than a standard cake, so it’s also perfect for a post-dinner dessert.
This cake takes only five to 10 minutes to prepare. It’s very dense and moist, due to the large proportion of nuts and zero flour content. I like to decorate it with a few walnut kernels on top before baking, but adding some cubes of apple would be a really great variation!
If you decide to grind the walnuts yourself, be careful not to over grind them, as they may start to leak their oils and become a paste. If you don’t have any starch, you can use a gluten free flour (rice flour or chick pea flour for example) of your choice instead. If you prefer to make your cake without rum, you could add a little ground cinnamon or some vanilla essence instead.
The cake is best served warm (15 minutes after baking would be best) with some maple syrup ice cream or vanilla custard. It keeps very well at room temperature. Even two or three days after cooking, it should be just as gooey and moist as on the day you baked it.
Makes 1 square dish 16 x 16 x 4.5cm
- Eggs 160g
- Ground walnuts 150g
- Brown Sugar 120g
- Corn/potato starch (or gluten free flour) 40g
- Pinch of salt
- Softened butter 100g
- Rum 20g
1. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees
2. Mix together the ground walnuts with the sugar, starch and pinch of salt
3. Put the eggs into the middle of the bowl, and beat well with a whisk
4. Add the softened butter and mix well, then add the rum and mix
5. Grease the baking dish with a little butter, and dust with a little gluten-free flour or brown sugar
6. Add the cake mixture to the dish. Distribute evenly and decorate with a few walnut kernels
7. Bake for 35-40mins, until the cake is set in the middle. You can check it is baked by inserting the tip of a knife into the middle of the cake. If the knife comes out clean, your cake is ready.
Hope you liked this recipe. If you tried it at home, please let us know how it went, we can't wait to see pictures of your gluten free walnut cake. Otherwise, you can find this recipe in Romanian here: Prăjitură cu nuci fără gluten.